Customs and International Trade Lawyers
The laws surrounding customs and international trade can be extremely complicated and varied. At J.J. Kim & Associates, we have experience handling many different customs and international trade matters, including tariff classification, import compliance, licensing, penalty defense, and trade agreements.
Whether our client is facing federal or state court litigation, or simply in need of legal counsel to assist with customs valuation, our international trade lawyers provide solutions. We know what it takes to obtain a successful outcome, and we approach each case with professionalism and sophistication. Given our experience representing clients before the U.S. International Trade Commission and the Office of the United States Trade Representative, we have the advocacy skills and knowledge clients need to win the cases.
Representation for Customs and International Trade Matters
J.J. Kim & Associates has handled customs and international trade cases with a wide range of issues, and our extensive experience allows us to assist our clients in even the most nuanced matters. Our international trade and customs expertise includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Tariff classification: we deal with a wide variety of tariff classification issues, and we help clients with some of the following types of cases:
o HTS code disputes;
o Fraudulent classifications; and
o Proper classification of imported merchandise.
- Import compliance: our customs attorneys have experience dealing with many different compliance issues, ranging from federal safety matters to trade agreement requirements. For instance, we have handled compliance matters such as:
o Safety compliance matters (including state rules and federal guidelines involving the EPA, UL, ETL, and FDA);
o Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) requirements;
o 10+2 Rule compliance;
o Trade agreement requirements;
o Country of origin and marking determination; and
o Drawback consultation and entries.
- U.S. Customs penalty action defense: We regularly handle some of the following customs issues:
o Recovery of seized assets;
o Mitigation of liquidated damages;
o Trademark penalty defense;
o Counterfeit penalty defense;
o Classification penalty mitigation;
o AMS violations;
o Customs penalty for bond; and
o General customs rule violations.
- Government licensing and permits: certain customs and international trade activities require to obtain specific licenses and/or permits. We help our clients with the following issues:
o U.S. Customs bonded carrier;
o U.S. Customs bonded warehouse;
o C-TPAT certification/validation; and
o Licensing for EPA, ARB, DOT, FDA, TSA, UL, and ETL.
- Trade agreements: we have experience handling a variety of issues that often arise with regard to trade agreements, including:
o KORUS FTA, NAFTA, CAFTA-DR;
o Country of origin; and
o Preference programs analysis.
- Litigation and protest: it’s important to secure experienced legal counsel when facing a courtroom battle. Our dedicated international trade attorneys help with:
o U.S. Customs protest and petition;
o Litigation in state and federal courts; and
o U.S. Court of International Trade Litigation.
- Customs valuation: our experienced customs lawyers assist with clients’ concerns about valuation for customs purposes.
- Government agencies requirements: federal agencies have many different requirements when it comes to matters of safety and compliance in international trade and customs dealings. At J.J. Kim & Associates, our knowledge of federal requirements allows us to assist clients with complicated customs and international trade cases.